Monday, August 16, 2010

Mosque in Manhattan



Nothing fashion related. It's mostly a political/my own views sort of post.

My friend posted this on Facebook and I thought it was a very accurate depiction of the mindset of the many protesters. For those of you that aren't clued in, there are plans for construction of a mosque relatively close to where the World Trade Center once stood (refer to 9/11). I understand that it may be a sore sight, especially for those who were directly affected by the attack on the World Trade Center, but it does not give them the right to want to prevent a place of worship to be built.

Although I do not necessarily call myself a liberal (because I do have somewhat conservative views on some issues), I am especially sensitive to issues that pertain to people's "freedom of" rights. America was founded based on the ideology of having the freedom to express ourselves without oppression. The attack on the WTC came from al-Qaeda. Although they are an Islamist group - they are also a militant group. I've studied religion (although not officially, but by myself and through my friends who are followers of these specific religions), I find that many people have said that Islam is a radical religion. Is it not the same if we were to dissect the Bible? There are certainly some radical views in there, as well, and it is based on interpretation.

Just because one specific group of radicals of a certain religion had imposed a terrorist attack does not necessarily mean that we have to be wary and accuse the entirety of the rest of the followers. Would it be the same if we pointed fingers at Christians who protested at the funerals of soldiers and said that all Christians were racist and homophobic?

It may be in poor taste - the proximity of the mosque to the site of the World Trade Center, but it has every right to exist where it plans to be.

Just my two cents. Feel free to add your own. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ ♥ ♥ hi.