Monday, March 2, 2015

#GOODEATS | NAVY YARD BISTRO | REVIEW





For a weekend trip escaping New York City, my significant other and I popped into Navy Yard Bistro for a wonderful Valentine's Day dinner.

Even with severe winter storm warnings, we decided to trek out to make our reservation at Navy Yard Bistro. It was a little difficult to find (but I'll attribute that to us not being from Massachusetts/Boston). We made it a couple minutes past our reservation, but we were greeted by a very friendly hostess and (presumably) the manager. At the mention of our reservation, the manager (again, presumably) recognized by significant other's name and greeted him by first AND last name.

We thought it was such a nice and personable touch that he actually knew who we were. We were pleasantly surprised. The place has a great ambiance. Very romantic and intimate. Plus, the food was great and it was not pretentious at all. The service was perfect.

The dinner menu was specially crafted for the occasion -- $55 per person for a four course meal. I forgot to take a picture of the menu, but I do have a video of it...which I'll compile in a future post!

First Course:
- Winter Mixed Greens (crispy parsnip, candied pecans, crumbled goat cheese, passion fruit vinaigrette) was absolutely delicious. It was a little sweet, salty, and very refreshing. All the ingredients melded perfectly together.
- Wild Mushroom Soup (with shaved Parmesan cheese & black truffle) was my SO's dish. He enjoyed it, but I personally don't like mushrooms. The soup was very thick, in my opinion.

Second Course:
- Twin Blini (ghost pepper caviar, smoked trout roe, port infused cranberry, sour cream) was great. The ghost pepper caviar I feared would be too spicy, but since it had been reduced, it was actually perfect. The dish was a little small and I was wishing for more with each bite.
- Braised Waygu Beef (parsnip puree, water cress, baby french carrots, red wine beef jus) was super super tender and awesome. The jus was delicious and my SO was sopping up each bite just to get it all.

Third Course:
- Pan Seared Halibut (cauliflower puree, edamame & black bean salad, crispy shallots, beurre blanc) was delicious. The halibut was cooked perfectly and had a nice crust on it. The only thing that was off-putting was the cauliflower puree and edamame & black bean salad was cold. Personally I think it was an odd combination and would've been better if it was warm.
- Grilled Petite Filet Mignon (gruyere potato gratin, crispy pancetta, grilled asparagus, lyonnaise sauce) was very tender and delicious.

Dessert:
- Flourless Chocolate Cake: Delicious, with coffee flavored ice cream. Not too dense but definitely satisfied my sweet tooth.
- Sample of Sorbets: I forgot what the flavors were, but I know it was passionfruit and champagne and one other one. The champagne one was DELICIOUS SO GOOD. It was probably my favorite sorbet ever.

And as we left, the same manager bid us a good night by name! So sweet. We will definitely be back if we ever return to the Boston area!

until next time,

julia

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ ♥ ♥ hi.